The History of Our School
St Paul's Church was built in 1826-28 to the design of Sir Charles Barry who is best known for his role in redesigning the Palace of Westminster and Trafalgar Square. The building was declared redundant in 1980 and fell into neglect and disrepair for some years.
In 1994, St Paul's Steiner Project was established and leased the building to be used as a school from 1995. The original intention was to renovate the building as a home for a Steiner Waldorf school and as a resource for lifelong learning for the local community.
A community of dedicated parents and carers, members of the local community and interested individuals first focused on making the building windproof and watertight, and then on maximising the space. Each year a new classroom was built and in 2007 the first students graduated from Class Eight to go on to complete their education at local state schools or other Steiner schools around the country. This has all been achieved through the commitment and energy of families and volunteers who have donated their time and skills to complete work valued at over £1 million. Funds for further specialist restoration works have been raised by the community and delivered by contractors.
The school has grown to a community of nearly 200 students and many more families in our Parent and Child groups. Recently having celebrated our 25th birthday, we look forward to what the next 25 will have to offer, and the education which we hope to continually adapt to our changing world.
Although the school occupies a renovated church, we welcome families of all faiths and none.